Originally constructed in 1896, this historic building has the distinction of being the longest, continually operating theater in Washington, DC. In fact, this major renovation project was completed within a nine-month construction time-frame to allow the continuous string of annual performances to remain intact.
To respect the historic character of the space, the theater’s impressive proscenium arch and plaster ceiling detailing were carefully preserved while the space was completely gutted and all systems modernized. The comprehensive renovation included new HVAC, AV, theater lighting and rigging systems, improved acoustics, and updated finishes throughout. A new light and sound booth was inserted at the rear of the balcony and over 800 new seats were installed.
On the exterior, the historic terra cotta and brick facade was rehabilitated. A new plaza, entry doors and lighting were added to give the theater a stronger presence on the campus.