Award of Excellence in Historic Architecture, AIA Northern Virginia
For more than a century, the Dahlgren Chapel of the Sacred Heart has been a place of worship, reflection and celebration for the Georgetown University. The historic chapel, constructed in 1893 in the style of 13th century English cathedrals, is the spiritual heart of the Georgetown community. This preservation project included renovation of the chapel interior and improvements to the exterior quadrangle.
Preserving the character of the existing space was a top priority. The client wanted to update the space but still make it feel like home. The interior renovation work included design of liturgical elements, a new pipe organ, custom lighting with lighting control, integrated audio/video/security systems, HVAC and electrical upgrades.